The St. Petersburg Civitan Club was chartered on April 12, 1921. We are the 19th Club to be chartered in the world. Civitan is in 20 countries and has over 24,000 members worldwide, which includes 8,000 Junior Civitans.
In 1925 an artesian well and fountain was drilled in the City of St. Petersburg at 2800 1st St N. The local Civitan Members wanted to help provide fresh water to the residents of the growing city. The cost to the club was $6,000. The landmark still stands today.
In 1932 the local chapter collected clothing and food for relief of the needy during the Depression.
In 1935 members purchased the land that the Beach House is located on. Construction of the original Beach House started on June 3rd of 1937 and finished on July 15th 1937.
In 1949 Civitan President Leon Noel led a committee to develop a youth center at Bartlett Park in the city. It stands today with athletic fields, courts and a playground.
For over 60 years the St. Petersburg Civitan Club sold Claxton Fruitcakes to raise money for the club and charities they support. Claxton has been selling fruitcakes since 1910.
In present years the club provides financial and staffing support for PARC, Special Olympics and the City of St. Petersburg and the events they sponsor.
On April 12th, 2021 we will celebrate our 100 Year Anniversary. Events are in the planning stages with Frank Kelley, Civitan International President and other local dignitaries planned to be present.